Saturday, December 27, 2014

the uninvited guest

I wanted to pop in quick this Holiday week and make an appearance. Christmas this year made my heart smile. I felt like I hit the jackpot seeing so many family and celebrating the real reason for the season, Jesus.  I went out to lunch with some gehlfrans yesterday and one friend in particular made a comment about how Christmas changes every year for a person. As I get older and look back on past Christmases I am amazed by how much my life has changed (even since last Christmas). One thing I am continuously learning more and more as I grow up and appreciating is health. How precious life is and how much we can take our own health and those around us for granted.

A group picture, of course.


End of 2013 and 2014 in particular opened my eyes as some pretty scary health concerns arose with a handful of family members. Given I have three other siblings (all married with their own kids) it's not very often we are all together, so this Christmas I felt especially grateful to have everyone present in one place. I relished in toddler cuddles and kisses; family time; delicious food; relaxation; and how great it was to watch others smile as they open their gifts. I felt like I was on some movie of a Christmas Carol, becoming an observer with the ghosts of Christmas, and it was the best. I agree with my friend. Christmas does change every year. Christmas 2014 accompanied a deeper appreciation for family and the true meaning of Christmas.  Additionally, it marked the beginning and end of Christmas rituals. 

Kyle's Aunt, who has played the role of Santa every Christmas Eve for the last 20-something years has put her boots into retirement. A significant moment in their family tradition. We introduced baby Delcan to his first Christmas. My family shook up our customary routine of Christmas day. Shifted the timeline of celebrating. Decided to try a white elephant gift exchange. And Brandy Alexanders did not make an appearance for the first time in years.

"Santa's coming! I know him!" -Buddy the elf

Unfortunately, amongst all the celebrating Kyle was  hit by an uninvited guest, a hardcore bug. A pretty bad head cold which has kept him down and out for the last few days. I have been lying low with him. Hoping Mr. bug doesn't make a leap into my system. Last night was low key but it was awesome. Kyle's brother gifted us the gift of red meat this Christmas. I'm not talking about petite filets here. I am talking bigger. Better. Massive rib-eyes larger than your face. Despite Mr. Bug, we grilled those suckers up. By far one of the top 3 steaks I've ever ingested. After all the hustle and last minute procrastinating Christmas errands I think I needed a night in too. I guess when an uninvited guest appears you gotta make the most of it. Even if that means inviting him to the table too. And now Mr. Bug, please go away.

Here are some pictures of our memorable meal.
 See these!?!
 One thing I am learning as a blogger. How weird it is to be taking photos of your food and of random things. It's so funny. I find myself saying, "Wait, can you take a picture really quick"?

Served with baked broccoli and twice baked potatoes.

Hope you all had a marvelous Christmas. Whether it was spent with family, friends, volunteering, or simply in the comfort of your own home, I hope it was memorable and joyful. Have a great weekend and go Packers!

No comments:

Post a Comment