Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Santa Claus is coming to town

Driving in my car on Sunday I overheard a radio announcer advertise, "Christmas. A time for your whole family to get together and sit on their phones." I couldn't help but chuckle for a moment and immediately put my index finger in the air trying to comeback with some smart reason why that really isn't the case... I found myself sticking my index finger up? Yes. Followed by a quick-witty remark? No. Truth, this man probably has a good point for a lot of folks. 



It may appear I am tooting my own horn here, but I usually do leave my phone on some counter-top, forget about it for the majority of the day, and then realize I should probably send a few holiday cheer texts. BUT anyone who knows me also knows this usually is the daily routine with my phone. I admit I am horrible at checking texts and returning them in a timely manner. I blame it on my lack of thumb motor coordination. But this Christmas I want to make an extra effort to only pull out my phone at certain times (just to do my Christmas duties). Mainly my intention is to prove this radio man wrong, but I also believe there is really no need for me to be on my phone when I have some pretty important people in my life in front of my face. A luxury not everyone can experience on Christmas. Want to join in on the phone mindfulness on Christmas? Maybe make it a little game with the loved ones you'll be with. Who knows, if anything you may have a little fun. It might be a let's see who grabs their phone first and first one has to snort eggnog sort of deal. Just kidding, don't do that. Something along those lines though.

Anyways, my life as of late has been full of Christmas cookies and popcorn. Seriously, it's never been this bad. It probably didn't help to bake 7 different types of cookies on Friday; making the temptation that more accessible. Ah well, tis the season I suppose. Today marks my last full day of work (I do have to go in a few hours tomorrow) before burning up a few days off. I am crossing my fingers, eyes, and toes for some snow so I can finally attempt cross country skiing and we are headed up to Lambeau for the Packer game on Sunday. It's going to feel like 3 Christmases this year :) 

Hope you're all caught up on your holiday shopping, gift wraps, and Christmas cards. I am still finishing up a few things so I give a high five to those already done and envy you, deeply, at the same time. Alas, the life of a procrastinator. It's a tough job, but someone has to keep the mall busy the day before Christmas eve. 

One last thing. I was babysitting my niece this weekend (she is 15 months and cute as a button). A snippet of our conversation went something like this:
Me: Taylor, what does a bear say?
Taylor: Rarrrrrrr
Me: Taylor, what does Santa say?
Taylor: Ho, ho, ho

I died. So cute. 

Have a merry and blessed December 23rd. And don't be fooled, you still have time to be on Santa's naughty or nice list. I must have been really good this year. Santa paid a visit to my place extra early because my stocking is full. Kyle's on the other hand is still empty. Silly Santa. Peace be with you!




No comments:

Post a Comment