Wednesday, December 3, 2014

"Giving back"-December's Challenge


Here we are into the second monthly challenge (crazy, that went quick). How did you do with the first one? I know I discovered many days where I had to be really intentional about fulfilling my daily spell of gratitude through words and actions. Interestingly enough, as I walked through this challenge I found other people to be more responsive towards me in a positive way. I noticed people smiling at me more or carrying friendly passerby conversations with me. I could have just been looking for it more (I may be a little biased), but it did make me wonder if the awareness and positive change of my energy (we will go with that term to wrap everything up) was somehow infectious on other people. I mean that was the point of the challenge! How we can create more positivity and lovingness towards others. So to explain my observations in my interactions with others I am just going to go with the latter.


In addition to me noticing a difference from other people I also found that as I reached out to others I learned more things. For example, while at a Starbucks I decided to use a daily challenge and ask the barista about her day. My simple act of asking her about her day turned into over a five minute conversation and as a result I learned that everyone who lives in Australia is required to vote! (Don't on hate on me if that's something I should already know). But I walked away thinking how cool it was to reach out to this person and not only did it bring a smile to her face, but I also thought how neat it was to take a snippet of knowledge along the way. As a result of my experiences, I think I am going to try and keep this up! If anything I think it's made me appreciate more of the world.

So this now brings me to this months challenge... Blessed are those who give.

It's December now and we know that brings lots of hot chocolate and elves on shelves, but the holiday season for many can be a difficult and stressful time. Some people don't have families to spend the holidays with. Others are struggling with finances and don't know how they're going to buy their children gifts this year. Many have experienced tragedies in life way beyond this sentence can even express or we can comprehend. Holidays tend to become a somber time versus a joyful experience. Loved ones lost, poor health, questions unanswered and jobs not coming along. For as much as we love the holidays we must also not forget those who are in need.

I am challenging myself as well as you to think about and carry out ways to give to others. While this may be a spin off from last month's challenge, it's a good one indeed. Think about those close to you or far from you. Who needs a helping hand this season? Maybe it's cooking a meal for another family. It could be volunteering your time at a shelter or donating gifts for children who might not have the opportunity to open up anything this year. Maybe your church could use support or your neighbor hurt his/her back and you offer to shovel. Think about how you can make a difference in someones life this season. It doesn't have to be a once a day thing for the whole month, but maybe think about a few ways you could carry out a good deed before 2015. After all, what a great way to finish off this year in giving to others.

Are you up for the challenge? What ways can you give back? I'm going to have to brainstorm a few but I am excited to keep you up to speed. Let me know your thoughts or if you have any ideas!

Take care of yourselves!


No comments:

Post a Comment