Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pumpkin Tort

Personally, pumpkin tastes good anytime of the year, but there is something so magical about Thanksgiving as it seems to take the cake when it comes to some pumpkin appreciation. It just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving without some sort of pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, or pumpkin cheesecake to make it's appearance and put the cherry on top of a hearty meal.
Lately I have been back on my Starbucks pumpkin spiced latte kick (ahem, addiction), and I think the "bucks" in Starbucks was a pun intended! Whoever was the creator of Starbucks is a) a genius and b) was probably secretly tapping his fingers together like Montgomery Burns on the Simpsons giving his best impression of an evil muhaha laugh. Thinking, suckers! Yep, I've become a sucker. Coffee for 5 bucks??? It's just sooo good! $$$$
And the Oprah quotes are clutch. 

After reading my apprehensions about cooking a turkey (which by the way I will commit to when the time comes), I must also confess I have a broken and battered relationship with baking. Whew, I said it. You must also know that this year has been all about pushing myself out of my comfort zone and trying new things. With that said, baking has stepped up to the plate and I have swung at it. Historically we have not made a good mix, but somehow, somewhere, something has changed. I, in fact, nominated myself to bake something for our annual Friendsgiving and it actually tasted...good. I couldn't believe it. I thought it might have been through chance, some luck of the draw, so I had to make it again and it tasted just as good. Two times people! If there is a success story this is it. I could go on and on about my baking mishaps but for the sake of my time and your sanity I am going to leave you with a taste of goodness that is sure to please those pumpkin lovas and friends and be the delight of the celebration. So if you're having some confusion about what to bring to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving look no further than to Pumpkin Tort. My friend Kristin gave me this recipe and it was a hit! So I may not be able to take the credit for this delectable treat but I sure can pass the torch! Enjoy!

*Again, photo quality is fresh out of a 101 middle school photog class which might even be giving myself a little bit more credit that I deserve but c'est la vie!

Pumpkin Tort- Difficulty Level: Moderate

CRUST:
1/2 C. butter, melted
1/2 C. sugar
12 large Graham crackers, crushed (do this in a plastic bag)
Mix and pack in a 9x13 greased pan

Meanwhile:
2 eggs
3/4 C. sugar
1 8oz package of cream cheese
Beat these 3 items and pour on top of the crust. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes


FILLING: (While the crust bakes prepare the filling)
2 C. pumpkin (16oz)
3 egg yolks ***Save the egg whites!
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C. milk
Mix and cook ingredients (NOT egg whites) on the stove top until thickened. 
 ***You will also need 1 envelope of Knox Unflavored Gelatin & 12 oz. cool whip for later steps

Meanwhile:
Mix 1 envelop of Knox Unflavored Gelatin with 1/4 C. cold water until dissolved 

Then:
Remove filling from heat, add the dissolved gelatin, and mix well. Cool the filling mixture (this could take a few hours). Once completely cool, beat your 3 egg whites and 1/4 C. sugar (until stiff or as stiff as you can get it).
Fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour into crust and chill until firm. 

Top with a layer of cool whip when ready to serve.


Have a great Thanksgiving! I know mine is going to be full of family, relaxation, and good food. Hope to see you Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment