Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Have a holly jolly winter







It won't be long until the cold consumes us and winter has crept its way back into our lives.  In my mind, winter is equivalent to one of those icky ex-boyfriends (or girlfriends) that you keep going back to thinking somehow THIS time will be different, but every attempt at rectifying the relationship turns out to be a sour bust. Okay, maybe that example is a little harsh, but its hard not to point out the obvious! I mean we've all been there at some point in our lives, right? Right? 

I say this every season change (I really mean it this time), but I want to take advantage of the holidays and make amends with winter this year.
Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Christmas & winter to an extent, but after the new year rolls around I am ova the cold. I know my words might not mean much after pointing out my parallels between the polar vortex we had last year and its resemblance to those toxic relationships that suck you back in, but as the saying goes, "nothing changes if nothing changes." If you keep doing things the same way you've always done then there's a pretty high probability you're going to end up with the same results. (You know the definition of insanity- doing the same thing but expecting different results). So today I am making a vow to change my approach to winter.

The reality is I live in Wisconsin. I may as well accept the fact that we have some pretty brutal wind chills and blusterous snowstorms. Me acting like a winy baby isn't going to make spring come any sooner (trust me, I've tried). Therefore,  I intend to change my relationship with winter by making a Winter Bucket List. I'm doing this to try and take advantage of things you can do/enjoy in the winter instead of just hibernating. It will be fun to hold myself accountable to a list and get the satisfaction of being able to cross things off. I might be thinking about this a little early, but I would like to be proactive this year. These winters have a tendency to fly in with guns blazing. I need to be prepared!!! While I have not fully created the list as of yet, I can say that trying cross country skiing and making a snowman (haven't done that in years) will make an appearance. 

Seriously, I need to find some ways to actually embrace and enjoy the season, so doing a bucket list could just be the trick. Who knows, I might actually really like it! (Optimism at it's finest).

Would you consider making a winter bucket list to help survive the season? Any ideas on what to include? Or, if any other thoughts come floating your way I'd love to hear!

Subscribe to Life à la Carte to get new blog post notifications sent directly to your email. 

Happy Hump Day!

Update: See my completed winter bucket list here


2 comments:

  1. Items for your bucket list: save money, renew your passport, and come to Mexico at the end of February with me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! This made me laugh out loud! I thought you were thinking of Punta Cana!?!?

      Delete