Wednesday, April 1, 2015

One man's junk is another man's treasure-April's Challenge


Nothing like a big welcome from Spring full of sore throats and stuffed sinuses. I've been feeling under the weather all week, and hoping to kick this sickness to the curb before the weekend. Between Easter festivities on both sides of our family and my niece and nephew's birthday parties I can't be sick—ain't nobody got time for that! Sadly, this sickness has also left no extra motivation for planning fun things, such as April Fools pranks. P.S. Happy 2nd Birthday Will! Yet this month brings us another monthly challenge and with this season change there's an opportunity to be out with the old and in with the new.

As mentioned before, I've been sorting through our belongings and donating old clothes, shoes, bags, etc. I skim through my stuff and each time find more and more stuff to ship out. Minimalists are my current role models.

A few years back I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. In her book she identifies the purpose of finding one drawer or shelf in your home you leave nothing in it. She explains...

{"Now, what’s so great about an empty shelf? An empty shelf shows that I have room to expand — I’m not crowded in by my stuff, I have order and space. For most people, outer order contributes to inner calm."}

It seems we always want to fill the space we have, but having a space where nothing exists makes perfect sense. I have this empty mason jar that stood on the counter in my bathroom for a while and now rests on a shelf in my closet. It's hard to explain, but every time I see that empty jar I do feel that inner calm that Rubin talks about. 

I'd like to try leaving a drawer empty. Perhaps I'll wait until we find a house. For now, I'm going to continue rummaging through my things and do some more Spring Cleaning. So this months challenge I invite you to go through that closet you've been avoiding or garage that's been calling your name. Donate those things you don't use or need anymore. As they say, "one man's junk is another man's treasure."

What Spring cleaning needs tackling in your life? Would you consider leaving an empty shelf or drawer in your home? Have you tried it before? 

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment