Thursday, January 22, 2015

Kitchen luxuries-The best rice cooker. Ever.


About a year ago the husband and I were going back in forth about what to spend our leftover Crate and Barrel gift cards from our wedding towards. I brought up purchasing a rice cooker. Because lets be serious, cooking rice is no easy task. My experiences with rice have been along the lines of Goldy Locks and The Three Bears storybook where the rice is too soggy, too thick, or still hard. With a rice cooker, however, the rice is juuuust right.

Most people I run into do not quite understand the real incentive in having a rice cooker, so to my surprise Kyle actually said yes. We as any smart shopper would do, researched the various products, read the reviews, and opted for the Zojirushi one.  It was expensive and I was hoping that spending 150 dollars on a rice cooker would cook the best rice I would ever have in my entire life. My friends literally laughed at me when I told them I bought a rice cooker. But let me tell you, I have the last laugh here. That little gem has been one of my favorite kitchen gadget luxuries. It really does make the best rice ever. And to top it off it sings twinkle twinkle little star when the rice is finished. Machines that sing and apparently I'm sold.




Since getting married, we started cooking more market fresh stir-frys and buying natural rice over instant rice. Instant rice has undergone the milling process and no longer contains as much nutritional value as natural rice does, so natural is a healthier option. Cooking natural rice on the stove also takes a lot longer so having a cooker is a time saver indeed.We have had no issues with our rice cooker leaking and the clean up is a breeze. Having a rice cooker and a wok have been great for cooking up some delicious healthy meals. There are various settings to cook different types of rice, including sushi rice. And I am so pumped for this weekend as I am going to try to make homemade sushi for the first time! 

At this point in this post I realize how old I am getting. I never thought I would be writing about my joys in having a rice cooker... Boy times have changed. But I am hopeful for some delicious sushi this weekend! And if you have been thinking about investing in rice cooker I would highly recommend it. It's worth paying a bit more and the Zojirushi has been really great for us. I will have you keep you posted on how my sushi turns out.

Whats your favorite kitchen gadget?

No comments:

Post a Comment