Thursday, October 30, 2014

"No Soup for you"-Taco Soup



Ever have those sitcoms that never seem to grow old? You know, the ones that you've watched a 1,000 times but still laugh your booty off like it's the first time you've seen it? Well that's how I feel about Seinfeld. Growing up we had a hate/love relationship, but I was only a kid (I didn't know any better)!!! It may have taken a little maturity mixed with an open mind but I eventually found my way. Isn't there a saying that goes something along the lines of finding a diamond in the rough?!? I guess Seinfeld became my diamond in the TV world (that and Sons of Anarchy). 

So in memory of one of the greatest episodes created, I found it only appropriate to pay tribute and use a Seinfeld one liner for today's post title. 
Please save me the heart ache and tell me you have seen the Soup Nazi episode... and if you have not, throw out the next thirty minutes of your life and get with the times!!! Or maybe it's considered the old times now... Tomato-Tomahto! But trust me, you won't regret it.

With all that said, let me introduce you to the most heavenly stew that will ever touch your lips-- Mr. Taco Soup. My mouth waters just writing about it. Number one, it is by far the easiest soup you will ever make in your life (or pretty close to it). Number two, it has ranch in it. And number three? Well if you're not sold after reading number two then shame on you! Joking (Sort of). Since the weather is changing and before we know it snow will  be upon us, I thought I would be generous and share a not so secret soup recipe with all you taco, ranch, and Seinfeld lovers. It's a crowd pleaser for sure and perfect for a Fall chilly day.

 If you decide to give it a whirl let me know what you think! I'm warning you though, it might be so good you may actually be telling people, no soup for you! 

Taco Soup- Crock Pot Style: (Difficulty Level: Easy) 

Ingredients: (This can also be a vegetarian meal) 

~1LB Round round meat or ground turkey
1 Can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 Can Pinto Beans (rinsed and drained)
2 Cans Chili Beans *do not drain sauce (I usually get one mild and one hot to give it a little kick)
1 Can Bean of your choice (I sometimes do navy or an extra pinto)
1 Can of Corn (drained)
2 Cans of Mexi-Styled diced tomatoes (DO NOT drain) otherwise two cans of regular diced tomatoes could work, I just believe the mexi-styled gives more flavor
1 Envelop of Ranch Dressing packet
1 Envelop of Taco Seasoning
1/2 C. Water 
*You will serve this with tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese

Prep and Cook:

If using meat be sure to cook until brown. While waiting for the meat to cook, open up all the cans and drain and rinse appropriate beans. Add all the beans, corn, tomatoes, ranch, taco seasoning into crock pot with 1/2 cup of water.  Transfer cooked meat into crock pot and mix soup thoroughly. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. 

Serve soup with tortilla chips, some shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!

Do you have any classic sitcoms you still love? Any fellow Seinfeld lovers out there? There's something I find refreshing about watching a show from your younger years. Maybe it brings me some type of nostalgia (I find this same reaction with music). Let me know your thoughts, I'd love to hear!

Also, if you're liking what you're reading, please feel free to subscribe to Life à la Carte by typing in your email address under the "subscribe" tab on the toolbar to the right side of the page. 

P.S. It's almost the end of the week! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me the perfect recipe for dinner tonight! I am a sucker for anything involving the crock pot and any taco soup recipe! Sounds delicious.

    I am like you where I only began to appreciate the awesomeness of Seinfeld in my adult years. When we were in Punta Cana this was just about the only show on that was in English. I will also admit I do still enjoy episodes of Full House (even though the acting and plot lines seem to have gotten more comical as I have aged...) but it reminds me of Friday night sleepovers with my best friends and TGIF on TV :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you're giving it a try! Let me know how it tasted. I usually don't even use a spoon with this one; I always find a tortilla chip seems to get the job done ;)

      Full house was and is an old time favorite of mine! Boy Meets World also takes the cake. TGIF!

      Delete