Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Miles Away in Mile High City





They say there's no place like home; however, I would argue Colorado has become a close second. A few girlfriends and I just got back from a sweet ol' weekend getaway in Denver. We decided to visit a good friend of ours from college and she so graciously welcomed us into her home. Prior to this weekend I had never been to Colorado, and since I'm a sucker for nature I assumed it was only a matter of time before I would become addicted to the views. Lo and behold it's only been a day and I'm already having my mountainous withdrawals! The scenery was breathtaking and I couldn't get enough of the endless mountain ranges and 360 sunsets. Colorado really should come with some sort of disclaimer: "Attention travelers, visiting this state may provoke you to pick up your life and move here..." or something along those lines.


Alas, I forgot to bring my camera so thank goodness for 'camera phones' or I'd really be throwing myself a pity party. These might not be the highest quality photos you've ever seen, but I thought I would give you a taste of our trip in case you were interested!
On our first day we ventured out and grabbed a bite to eat at VooDoo Doughnut (this place is amazing AND their doughnut names are hilarious). I highly recommend trying this place if you ever trek out to Denver. PLUS it's open 24 hours a day.  My favorite was the "Old dirty bastard."
They even had a bacon doughnut...
Since there was nowhere to sit at VooDoo we took our pastries with us on our hiking trail, Lookout Mountain... Mountain Bikers passed us looking extremely confused by our indulgence of a dozen doughnuts in the mountains. Many made reference to their confusion, but at least it made our hike memorable! (Note: I would not recommend stuffing your face with doughnuts prior to hiking up a mountain).




As I mentioned earlier, the views are astounding!
 We visited Red Rocks Amphitheater. It was neat watching so many people use the concert benches (behind us) as a workout space.




 Couldn't resist, I had to bust out a yoga pose!







Friday night we grabbed dinner at the Social Punch Bowl, which truly would be the best place for a first date. I'm regretting not taking pictures of the space, but imagine a spot where you can have a semi-fancy dinner atmosphere, mixed with an upscale lounge bar, added with a bowling alley, and topped off with a third floor devoted to ping pong and arcade games in the same place! Who even needs to leave!?!?
 We continued our adventure downtown.
 Pickle shots that taste exactly like the juice from a jar. Just a little slice of pickle heaven.<3
We stopped for brunch at Linger and may I add the doughnut holes with nutella sauce were delicious! I think I ate more doughnuts on this trip than I have in the past 5 years. P.S. This place used to be a mortuary.
We spent our last day browsing downtown Denver and decided to pop in the Union Station. With it being recently renovated and reopened this summer, it had a fun 1940s feel to the decor, and housed a variety of shops and restaurants. It even had a shuffleboard in the middle (a personal favorite).

This was the first trip I have ever taken in Fall (I believe in my life) and it could not have come at a more perfect time. It's amazing how much a little girl time can do magic for the soul. You know what else? It's funny how you can hang out with some people and your age is seemingly thrown out the window. I think my abs are still sore from all the belly laughs!!!

AND Colorado, it was lovely to meet you; you have made quite the first impression. Until we meet again... <3

Do you have any trips coming up? Maybe for the holidays? If you could travel to any state in the U.S. where would you go? Montana is one on my agenda.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley! I love your blog. If you ever come to Utah, you have a place to stay and can enjoy all the mountainous views! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Heather! I'm glad you are enjoying reading it! I am certainly having fun writing it. Utah sounds amazing and I would love to venture out there. Thanks for the offer and I hope you're doing well. You have a lot of things to be proud of! :)

      Delete